The ultimate guide to bug out bag packing. Essentials you’ll need and what to consider when compiling this important kit. The time it takes to survive most emergency situations is 72 hours, and to increase your chances of survival you’ll need to have the right gear. A bug out bag is the term used to describe a bag that has everything required to get through these first 72 hours, and it’s a must-have for a citizen of the world to own.
A bug out bag will be your most basic line of defense in a survival situation and it has everything you need from food and hygiene supplies to medical care and emergency shelter. The exact contents in your tactical bug out bag might differ slightly, but generally, they’ll be the same for everyone.
Preparing to do your own bug out bag packing is pretty easy to do, and there are even some assembled ones with all of the bug out bag contents you need. Whatever approach you take, this is one major preparation you can take for all types of situations, and just knowing that it’s there and ready to go will take a huge burden off your mind.
- 1 Bug Out Bag Packing – Essentials
- 2 Bug Out Bag Packing – Considerations to Make
- 3 Bug Out Bag Packing – Simple And Practical
Bug Out Bag Packing – Essentials
Understanding what is a bug out bag is more about the contents that are in it more than anything else. There are some key ingredients that everyone should keep inside their bag to cover them for all kinds of scenarios, and from there you can add or remove whatever else you find necessary.
The Bag Itself
- Free Gift Kits & 30-Days 100% Full Refund Assurance - Come with 10 Pcs Accessories -- 1 x Water Bottle Pouch, 1 x USA Flag Patch, 6 x D-Rings Grimlock Locking, 1 x Hydration tube Clip, 1 x...
- Please pay attention to the waterproof rain cover is hidden inside the zipper pocket at the bottom of the backpack. 45L LARGE CAPACITY - Military Tactical backpack size approx.:13"*20"*11" /...
- MUTIPLE COMPARTMENT - There are 2 main compartments, 2 small compartments in front, and a back compartment for a hydration bladder (backpack didn't include hydration bladder). Each of the...
You need a bag that’s durable but lightweight and with enough room to carry everything you. Think of styles like camping or hiking bags that will carry a lot comfortably and be able to withstand harsh weather conditions. Choose a bag with various compartments and possibly even attachments that let you carry extra gear without taking up room.
Bug Out Bag Packing – Food and Water
- PREP CHECK CERTIFIED: 1,800 Calories Per Day | 50G Protein Per Day | 298 Total Servings
- VARIETY: 10 different meal options including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and drinks
- EXTENDED SHELF LIFE: Meals are packed into durable, long-lasting pouches designed to keep food fresh for up to 25 years
Enough food rations for yourself and whoever else will be with you for the first 72 hours is essential, and there are many brands that make these survival portions of food. Fresh water packages might not always be easy to take, but they are necessary, and you can also uses portable filtration systems where possible.
- Manufactured by the #1 leading manufacturer of First Aid Kits in the USA. 110 pieces of comprehensive first aid treatment products.
- This Kit meets United States FDA Regulatory Standards as a Medical Device. Ideal for most businesses and perfect for family use at home or travel.
- Fully organized interior compartments provides quick access. The rugged, sturdy, high density plastic case is impact resistant
A simple first aid kit will give you everything you need for a bug out bag, so choose one that has every base covered. There should be bandages, antiseptic cream, duct tape, and any medication that might be relevant.
- Kills more than 99.99% of common germs * (*Effective at eliminating more than 99.99% of many harmful germs and bacteria in as little as 15 seconds)
- Six 12-fluid ounce bottles of hand sanitizer
- 62% Ethyl Alcohol
Bacteria can easily spread in an emergency situation so consider basic hygiene supplies that will prevent that. Consider simple and lightweight options like hand sanitizer, wipes, and some toilet tissue.
Bug Out Bag Packing – Emergency Supplies
- Quality Crafted Knives And Tools For Every Task: Whether Saving Time, The Day, Or A Life, Gerber Delivers Professional-Grade Pocket Knives, Multitools, And Equipment. Hunting, Survival, Tactical,...
- Loaded With Innovations: The Gerber Ultimate Survival Knife And Sheath Features A Half Serrated, Drop Point Blade Ideal For Edge Retention And Cutting Rope, A Stainless Steel Hammer Pommel, An...
- Optimized For Your Survival: Durable Nylon Sheath Includes A Sharpener; Fire Starter Locks Into The Sheath And Striker Notch Is Incorporated On Back Of Blade For Emergency Fire Needs; Ergonomic...
Shelter, fire, clothing, lighting, communication, and various other tools are all needed in a bug out bag. A survival knife is a key ingredient because it’s multipurpose and dependable, but you’ll also want to be covered for all types of weather and have basic assess to lighting and shelter.
Bug Out Bag Packing – Considerations to Make
Before you go ahead with packing your bag, there are some things you’ll have to consider. Anyone with a bug out bag is advised to perform a check every six months and make sure all of the contents are still intact and in good order, so consider these factors each time you do.
Follow the guidelines put in place for hikers and campers when packing your back so the weight is distributed evenly. Keep bulky and heavy items in the bottom of the bag, leaving pockets for things that you’ll use frequently and the top of the bag for lighter items that don’t need to be removed all the time.
There are plenty of ways to compress items in your bag so that everything fits well, but keep an eye on the weight as you do. shrink wrapping and vacuum sealing are two popular methods that manufacturers use when making these survival kit and bug out bag supplies.
Bug Out Bag Packing – Containers Used
Opt for lightweight containers or packaging that will be easy to fit inside a bag. The containers should be durable enough to last for years. There’s a good chance your bag will lie in waiting and never be used unless an emergency occurs.
Both food and medical supplies come with expiration dates. As two of the most important parts of your bag you need to be aware of them. Look at the shelf life of rations when you purchase them and set a reminder to replace items as needed.
Consider who will be carrying the bag and what they’re capable of carrying. It’s easy to pack a bag full of items. But, if it’s not easy to carry for days on end, you will need to reconsider.
Bug Out Bag Packing – Simple And Practical
- 【Christmas gift ideas】 High-quality comprehensive emergency survival first aid equipment, best gifts for men, father, family, friends. You can enjoy a more relaxed and safe adventure with our...
- 【A Must Have Survival First Aid Kit】LUXMOM survival kit is unique in that it was specifically designed by survival experts. The comprehensive survival kit not only includes 21pcs multipurpose...
- 【Wide application range】This survival kit is great for firefighters, first aid personnel, hikers, campers, outdoor sports enthusiasts, etc. It is idea for car, ship, bicycles, motorcycles,...
There’s no good excuse not to have a bug out bag packed and ready to go. Regardless of where you live or what type of scenarios you think could happen. Assembling everything into a bag will take less than an hour. Once it’s packed, you’ll have the knowledge that you’re ready should the worst happen.
If you’d prefer not to pack your own bag, there are ready-made survival kits. These have done it all for you. These kits contain everything you need and can even be purchased to suit families, and they’re all packaged up in a durable and reliable backpack.
We can never say for sure what is going to happen, and with the very real possibility of potential doomsday scenarios like nuclear war or natural disasters, it pays to be prepared. A bug out bag is a simple way to defend yourself against this uncertainty. And will give you everything you need to get through those crucial first 72 hours.