Driving your car or walking into the wilderness is all fun and games until something goes wrong, and you have nothing but what you have within reach. Look into your EDC kit. Do you have some stuff that can help you survive for a few hours or a day if you got accidentally stranded by your group? Can you reach your destination if you get lost?
This is what EDC kits are all about. These kits are smartly built to carry things that you’ll need for survival.
Because our needs are different, we’ve chosen 5 EDC kit examples that will help you build yours. Keep on reading to learn more about them.
- 1 5 EDC Kit Examples that will Help You Build Yours
- 1.1 EDC Kit Number One
- 1.2 EDC Kit Number Two
- 1.3 Kit Number Three
- 1.4 Kit Number Four
- 1.5 Kit Number Five
- 2 Wrap Up
5 EDC Kit Examples that will Help You Build Yours
An EDC kit is different from a first aid kit because it contains items that you need for survival and not just a tourniquet for emergencies or medicine to treat bug bites.
It’s a kit that contains some essential personal items, in addition to some tools that can help you survive and make your life easier when you’re away from home. Here are some examples of EDC kits.
EDC Kit Number One
If you’re looking for the most basic example of EDC kits, this one will work for you.
- PORTABLE SMALL SIZE - Our LED flashlight is portable small size, Length: 4.2in, Diameter: 1.2; Weight 128g, fits well in your hand or pocket. Compact to fit easily into your pocket wherever you...
- SUPER BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Equipped by LED, the beam distance of flashlight is up to 492ft. Luminous flux is about 140 lumen in full brightness. Easily light up an entire room.
- SKID-PROOF DESIGN & WATER RESISTANT DESIGN - Impact and Water Resistant (IPX4), premium aluminum casing resists rust and corrosion
Keep the flashlight within reach so you can use it when the sun goes down. A flashlight will also keep the wild animals away when you’re spending the night in your car if it accidentally broke down.
Before picking a flashlight, you need to think about the lumens, which refers to how bright the lights will be. Anything between 100 and 150 lumens is suitable for outdoor activities.
2. Butane Lighter
- Genuine Zippo double torch insert; Push-button piezo ignition
- Adjustable blue flame height; Heats up to 2,300°F/1,260°C
- Refillable with Zippo Butane fuel; 0.9 gram fuel capacity
A butane lighter is an essential tool because it will help you start a fire in case of an emergency. Some people know how to use several elements like ice, plastic, or rocks to start a fire, but if you’re not one of them, using a butane lighter might come in handy.
The main advantage of this lighter is that you point the flame in any direction to start a fire, unlike ordinary lighters that produce a flame that burns upwards. Moreover, the flame created by butane is windproof, so it’s suitable for survival adventures.
3. Bungee Cord
- MORE OF THE BUNGEE CORDS YOU NEED – Don’t waste your money on multiple sets of bungee ropes that include those tiny cords that you will NEVER use. This assortment of BUNGEE CORDS includes:...
- HEAVY DUTY STORAGE CASE – We offer you more than just a set of 26 bungee straps. A heavy-duty storage case is included —forget the usual plastic tube that makes a tangled mess of your bungee...
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL USE - Our customers love using our bungee straps set for many different needs. Whether you’re packing for a camping trip, storing packages in the garage, moving boxes, fastening...
Bungee cords are helpful because they help you tie things without knots. They’re essential for securing tools when you’re away from home. As a matter of fact, a bungee cord can be used for multiple uses around the house when you’re back home.
EDC Kit Number Two
This kit will be a good choice for survival adventures that can last for multiple days.
1. Compression Bandage
- ✅ EASY-TO-USE CLOSURES - Mighty-X elastic bandages come with reliable hook-and-loop closures, providing much easier fastening than traditional bandages. They allow quick wrapping with...
- ✅ HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS - Each elastic bandage wrap is made of premium-grade polyester, a durable, but very soft material that won’t cause irritation even with the long-term application....
- ✅ 2 DIFFERENT SIZES INCLUDED - You’ll receive two 4” rolls and two 6” rolls of crepe bandage. Having more possibilities for effectively wrapping various injuries, you can get back to...
If you’ve been hiking or walking for a long distance, a compression bandage will be a great tool to add to your EDC. This is a piece of stretchy bandage that you can wrap around a strain or a sprain to help you walk till you’re able to get help.
When worn within the first 24 to 48 hours of an injury, a compression bandage will help relieve the swelling and pain. However, it’s recommended to keep your leg elevated to alleviate the swelling.
- Single-Handed Operation Designed: Well Designed For One-Hand Operation Tourniquet, Quickly Controls Life-Threatening Extremity Bleeding, Even You'Re Traveling Outside And Unexpectedly Injured...
- High-Quality Tourniquet: Durable Windlass Bar That Won'T Bend Or Break Under Pressure, High-Quality Stitching And Velcro Provides Durability That Protects Integrity And Strength Of The Tourniquet...
- First Aid Tactical-Life:Outdoor Tourniquet Not Only For Professionals But For The Average Individual.As A Private Doctors For Outdoor Or Emergency: 100% Effective In Blocking Blood Flow, Quickly...
A tourniquet is used to stop blood loss in case of a severe injury, and it can literally save your life if you’re suffering from a severe wound. The idea is to tie the tourniquet hard enough to stop the blood flow in the blood vessels.
3. Multitool Combo
- 7 IN 1 VERSATILE SURVIVAL TOOL: This multi-purpose tool can be used as a knife, a LED light, and a hanging carabiner, a Phillips screwdriver, a slotted screwdriver, a glass breaker, a bottle...
- QUALITY GUARANTY COMBO TOOL: Entirely made of stainless steel and aluminum alloy, updated design to avoid many limitations of the old one, such as better bottle opener and tightenable rivet. The...
- COMPACT AND PERFECT FOR EDC: Designed with (4.3"L X 2.5"W, 3.8 OZ) ideal size, weight and shape for daily carrying and use. You can use it as edc keychain, or as hanging carabiner for pet dog...
Instead of packing various separate items, look for a versatile multitool that you can use for multiple purposes. A tool with one-hand access will come in handy, especially if you’re carrying a backpack and other gear or your hand is injured.
Look for a high-quality blade that doesn’t bend if you cut through a stem or cord. Your tool should also have pliers, a wire cutter, a bottle opener, and a pair of scissors. Other useful tools include a sickle, scale, hole puncher, and screwdriver.
4. Mini Knife Sharpener
- 3 SECONDS - Push and pull back and forth, and immediately have a sharp new knife in 3 seconds. With this knife sharpener tool you can always use the new knife.
- 2 MINUTES BECOME ADEPT - It's easy to use, with a tungsten carbide groove that fits the blade, helping you quickly master the sharpening skills.
- 1 HAND ENOUGH - Press the bar and it can be attached to any smooth surface, it will save your hand from any accidental cuts. Even you can unlock the new experience of sharpening the knife on the...
Nothing feels more frustrating than a dull blade. This is why you should have a mini knife sharpener.
When you use your knife to cut the meat of the animals you might have to hunt or cut through the branches to clear your way, the blade can become too dull with use. The knife sharpener will keep your blade sharp and functional, so it’s always ready for use. Also, because it’s a mini version, it won’t add much weight to your gear.
Kit Number Three
This kit works for those who might be worried about being stranded in the wilderness.
- ✔️BUILT WITH CLINOMETER - With the clinometer, you can measure the angle of slope, elevation, and avalanche hazards when mountain climbing, backcountry skiing, or hiking steep slopes.
- ✔️EASY TO HANDLE & READ - A liquid-filled compass with an integrated bubble level, it delivers reliable and accurate readings, thanks to the luminous dial, adjustable luminous marching line,...
- ✔️SOLID BUILD QUALITY - Waterproof rugged aluminum alloy build means it can withstand extremely tough situations, due to its size, features, and military-level sturdiness.
Although you can use the sun during the day and the stars at night to determine directions, nothing beats the accessibility of a compass. Carrying a compass is a must if you’re spending time in the wilderness, so you can quickly determine directions and get to the base camp or home when needed.
A compass is affordable but should always be used with a map. You need to keep the compass away from metal objects to keep it accurate. It also comes in handy when there’s no access to the network.
2. Dried Food
- ESSENTIAL MEALS READY TO EAT: Each food kit contains 60 servings with 3 different meal options to choose from.
- JUST ADD WATER: Each entrée is easy to prepare in any emergency circumstance using just water.
- LONG-LASTING STORAGE: Durable, storable food pouches keep rations fresh for up to 25 years.
Dried vegetables, meat, and fruits are all available and can last for a while without a fridge. You can either consume them raw or add some hot water to prepare a warm meal.
You can also keep a bag of nuts or a protein bar in your EDC. They’ll give you the needed energy boost if you’ve missed a meal or two.
- Durable Cutlery: Enjoy your meals with this sturdy flatware whether at home or camping
- Versatile Utensils: Snow Peak sporks are easy to use with pizza, pasta, rice, and ice cream alike
- Handy Titanium Spork: Fits in travel backpack and handbag, perfect for camping, hiking, and more
This tool is a hybrid between a spoon and a fork and will help you enjoy a meal whenever you like.
Kit Number Four
When it’s raining or you happen to find yourself in a situation where you have to cross a water body, you need to make sure that you have multiple waterproof tools that guarantee the success of your adventure.
- ⭐Made in The USA⭐ – New Extremus TRUE Mil Spec 5040 Type III Paracord is proudly made in the USA to exacting standards for the ultimate in reliability and strength. There are thousands of...
- TRUE Mil Spec 5040 Paracord – Extremus Paracord is manufactured to true Mil Spec 5040 Type III military government standards. There is a total of 7 nylon strands that are each made up of 3...
- UV Resistant And Color Fast – Extremus Paracord is ready for the toughest challenges. Each strand is UV resistant and is also light and heat resistant. The color fast dies resist fading so your...
This is one of the most versatile tools that you can use in any situation, and it’s waterproof, so it doesn’t get soggy when submerged in water. You can use paracord to fashion a shelter by tying tree branches together or make a DIY fishing line to catch lunch.
It also allows you to retrieve tools easily, especially when your hands are wet or slippery. Just tie it to your GPS or knife, and you’ll be good to go. You can make a fashionable bracelet of paracord and use it when necessary.
- 【World Life Cycle Map, PRE-LOADED USA Canada Mexico Maps】 Pre-installed with the 2022 latest North America Map, include USA Canada Mexico Maps, which has 2D / 3D map display. If you need to...
- 【Lifetime Map Updated for Free】 Get the latest map by connecting OHREX GPS Navigation to the Windows pc. You can also use an exteranl TF Card for map update (with Mac & Windows system)....
- 【NAVIGATION WITH CONFIDENCE】 OHREX 7 inch GPS Navigation with detailed maps and turn-by-turn directions that speak street names loud and clear through the speaker. With OHREX GPS navigation...
A GPS is a useful tool because it can store maps and calculate traveled distance and time needed to reach a destination. It’s easier to use than a compass and can have multiple features like showing elevation and the topography of the area.
However, this device is more expensive than a compass, and the display is usually too small. You also need access to the satellite network and should have extra batteries in case it stops working.
3. Waterproof Phone Cover
- Universal waterproof case dry bag fits all smartphones up to 7.0" diagonal size, Certain big screen phones need to remove protective case. Credit card wallet money waterproof dry bag for beach,...
- Clear Window on both front and back sides, perfect for taking pictures, videos and checking emails
- 100 feet IPX8 Certified waterproof; Offers waterproof / snowproof / dirtproof protection for your device while maintaining full touch screen functionality
Most smartphones are water-resistant, and some of them are waterproof. However, keeping your smartphone in a waterproof cover or pouch will guarantee that it doesn’t malfunction if you accidentally drop it into a lake or river.
4. Fishing Line and Hooks
- Fishing Knot Tying Tool for your fishing gear. Cover fishing hooks on fishing poles and travel safely. Built in Stainless Steel Line Cutter. Suitable for Saltwater and Freshwater fishing, perfect...
- Simple to Use - Great for joining Line to Line when tying on flies - and joining your backing line to the tippet. Line to Leader. Braided Line to Mono filament/ Leader using the FG Knot, Blood or...
- Now Everyone Can Tie their Own Tackle with a professional knot. Quick Safe Easy Suitable for anglers of all ages and experience - Never lose a fish from a faulty knot! Ideal for cold weather...
If you happen to find yourself near a water body, it might be a good chance to catch fish like trout and other freshwater goodies. Make sure that you have the right fishing line, hooks, and patience, and you’ll enjoy fresh fish.
Kit Number Five
When the weather is slightly colder, there are a few items that should get into your EDC.
- STYLISH FOR MEN - OZERO windproof and water resistant touchscreen sensitive gloves are fashion and moderately warm for men on the go. *Please refer to the size chart in the product image area for...
- SENSITIVETOUCHSCREEN FINGERTIP PADS - Keep your fingers warm and dry while you use your devices. OZERO texting gloves are coated with a conductive fabric on the thumb and index finger that allows...
- WATER RESISTANT AND WINDPROOF FABRIC AND TPU - High-quality water resistant shell keeps your hands dry in snow or light rain while a waterproof TPU component keeps freezing wind and cold water...
Keep a pair of gloves in your backpack and make sure they’re smartphone-friendly. Not only will they keep your fingers from freezing if you accidentally get stranded in the cold weather, but you’ll also never have to remove them to send a message for help.
- ✅Multi-purpose: These screwgate locking carabiners are great for many activities like camping, hiking, backpacking,or simply as keychain carabiners or dog leash and harness carabiners,...
- ✅Heavy Duty: Rated at 12KN, each retractable metal carabiner can withstand over 2697 pounds of force
- ✅Lightweight: With palm sized design, you can take these small carabiners with you anywhere you go
A carabiner is used to secure keys, a camera, a phone, and other valuables. It’s a great tool when the weather is cold, and you’re wearing protective gloves because your valuables won’t slip.
3. Stainless Steel Water
- Brita’s Premium Filtering stainless steel bottle holds 32oz of water, and is designed with a Brita filter that fits in the straw that makes water taste great and keeps water cold for 24 hours
- Get great tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles a year
- This 32 oz Brita water bottle is made from durable, double-wall insulated stainless steel to keep water cold and features a leak-proof lid; Height 10.6"; Diameter 3.8"; Weight 1.1 pound
You want to stay hydrated in cold weather, and a stainless steel bottle will keep your water at an adequate temperature. The best thing about a stainless steel bottle is that you can use it to melt snow if there’s no access to clean water.
4. Foldable Blanket
- Soft velvet/ fleece: Our lightweight and soft travel blankets are made using only breathable velvet/ fleece that offers just the right balance between warmth and comfort while promoting air...
- Breathable Traveler Blanket: We combine breathable fabric with Humidity Management Tech to bring you a moisture wicking foldable blanket for travel that will keep you warm and comfy without...
- For All Your Travels: Whether you’re traveling by plane, going on a road trip, at the movies or just enjoying your downtime at home, our packable travel size blanket will make sure you stay...
Keep yourself am and safe when you’re out in the cold weather by carrying a foldable blanket. It adds some weight to your EDC kit, but it’s worth the purchase because you can use it if you need to rest a little until help arrives.
Keeping an updated EDC kit in your backpack or the gloves compartment of your car sets the difference between life and death. Think of all the emergency situations that you might face when you’re not prepared, and make sure that you’ve packed the items that work for your situation.