Essential oils are powerful natural remedies against insects and poisonous plants. Here’s a list of the best essential oil for poison ivy to buy and have at home.
Besides their modern use in aromatherapy, essential oils also have multiple uses in the gardening world.
Essential oils are vast, and under their umbrella lies a plethora of oils. Naturally, then, you might feel overwhelmed about which oil to use for what.
The various uses of essential oils include being a safer and eco-friendlier pesticide option. They’ll help you with fungi, insects, snails, slugs, and harmful vermin.
And if that wasn’t enough, essential oils are used for poison ivy rashes and other injuries caused by poisonous plants.
Essential Oil for Poison Ivy – Essential Oils Against Insects
We’ll be going over the main essential oils that you can use for pest control:
- 100 PURE CLOVE OIL FOR TOOTH ACHES. Clove oil for teeth and gums heals teeth pain and sore gums. Massage 1-2 drops of oil of cloves for toothache on teeth and gums directly or with a carrier oil.
- EFFECTIVE FOR PAIN. Clove oil for tooth pain also is an organic remedy to soothe aching muscles. Massage 2-3 drops of clove oil essential oil with a carrier oil on neck, shoulders, arms & legs.
- A GROUNDING SCENT FOR RELAXATION. Clove bud oil essential oil comforts stressed minds with its warm, earthy scent. Add 3 drops of clove essential oil for diffuser to water and diffuse for 30...
Clove oil is low on toxins, so it’s the least harmful oil to the environment and naturally the first choice.
Also, its components break down quickly in the soil and on plant leaves. As a result, it’s an organic gardener’s best friend when it comes to controlling ants, fleas, cockroaches, and other pests.
It’s also used to get rid of and prevent fungi spots from appearing on your leaves since it’s an anti-fungal oil.
- Essential Oil Rosemary - Rosemary is one of the most prolific aromatherapy essential oils for diffuser and beauty care offering many benefits as one of the most popular aromatherapy diffuser oils
- Rosemary Hair Oil - Healthy hair starts at the scalp so try our rosemary oil for hair and dry scalp care that can be added to your favorite shampoo or beauty products for endless natural benefits
- Skin Care Oil - Dilute our pure rosemary oil for skin with your favorite carrier oil to cleanse and refresh dull dry skin acting as a natural anti aging serum for face and body care from head to...
Can’t get rid of irritating mosquitos? What about that neighborhood cat that can’t get enough of your garden?
Rosemary oil is your solution to both these problems. You could add it to tiny pieces of old cloth and spread them across your garden’s perimeters to shoo away persistent cats and insects.
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure essential oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely...
- Refreshing Aromatherapy: A few drops of this citrusy fresh and earthy oil in your favourite diffuser will add a refreshing vibe in any atmosphere and help provide a stimulating and purifying...
- Feel Good Massage: Once mixed with a carrier oil for dilution, Majestic Pure Lemongrass essential oil can be enjoyed as a massage oil as well. Extremely relaxing and refreshing, this oil can help...
Because of its intense and citrus scent, lemongrass oil is an excellent choice of insect repellent—especially since the scent won’t be affecting you.
Lemongrass oil is specifically effective against gnats, ticks, ants, and flies.
- 100% Cold Pressed & Unrefined - All natural with absolutely no chemicals or additives included to ensure that the neem oil retains its original composition
- Cosmetic grade - The oil is high in antioxidant compounds that soothe the skin
- Organic gardening uses - used in organic gardening to keep plants looking healthy
If your plant or garden has already been infested, neem essential oil to the rescue!
Since infested plants have already built a waxy barrier to protect themselves against the pest, it’d be difficult to get rid of the problem without hurting your plant.
Neem oil helps get rid of both the pests and the plant’s protective barrier, allowing a fresh new start.
- DON’T LET STUFFY NOSES BOTHER YOU. Cajeput essential oil is a clarifying remedy. Best suited for those with frequent sinus congestion
- PURIFY HOME SPACES. Some may use cleansing cajeput oils to improve indoor air quality. It's great for those who may have breathing issues
- ALL OUR ESSENTIAL OILS ARE QUALITY-ASSURED FOR YOUR SATISFACTION. If you’re unsatisfied, reach out to us within 365 days for a FULL REFUND
Cajeput oil has antifungal properties that’d help you in repelling garden mites.
It can also be used to repel other crawling and flying pests. And the good news? It does no harm to either your harvest or vegetation.
- 100% Pure Garlic Essential Oil - Completely pure, undiluted, therapeutic grade Garlic essential oil.
- Built-In Eye Dropper Included - Our Garlic essential oil is bottled in 10ml u/v resistant amber glass bottle with a built-in euro style dropper for easy dispensing
- Perfect For Your Favorite Diffuser - Our essential oils were specifically designed for all types diffusers (reed diffusers, ultrasonic diffusers, humidifiers, steam diffusers, & more!)
You’re probably completely put off by this choice of essential oil because of its pungent smell.
Well, we’re with you. Garlic oil is a powerful, natural repellent.
But if you’re second-thinking it, know that this oil repels several pests, as well as crawling and flying bugs.
Essential Oil for Poison Ivy – Essential Oils Against Poisonous Plants
Let’s go through the essential oils out there that have medicinal purposes:
- BASK IN STRESS-FREE RELAXATION. Juniper berry essential oil packs a fruity, sweet punch that helps to uplift low spirits and relax stressed minds. Add 1-2 drops of juniper essential oil in a...
- A FRUITY ADDITION TO DIY RECIPES. Juniper oil adds a refreshing twist to handmade products, such as scented candle, shampoo, roll on, soaps and more. Incorporate 4-5 drops of juniper essential...
- GENTLE & HEALING FOR SENSITIVE SKIN. Juniper berry oil is a natural remedy that clears breakout-prone skin, restoring healthier and clear complexions. Use 2-3 drops of juniper essential oil...
Juniper essential oils have antimicrobial properties. Meaning, this oil prevents further infection when it comes down to itchy rashes.
This essential oil also has skin-soothing properties that allow it to reduce the inflammation of a rash.
It also helps speed up the healing process of injuries caused by poisonous plants.
- ENHANCES REST & RELAXATION. Roman chamomile essential oil for sleep is used in aromatherapy to soothe the senses for deeper and more peaceful nights. Diffuse 1-2 drops of chamomile essential oil...
- FOR TOTAL ACHE RELIEF. Roman chamomile essential oil for pain is a natural remedy for body aches, such as back pain, shoulder pain and neck pain to speed up recovery. Massage 2-3 drops of organic...
- ADDS MOISTURE TO DRY SKIN. Organic roman chamomile oil for face deeply nourishes dry and dull complexions with ample hydration for soft, supple skin. Just add 2-3 drops of organic roman chamomile...
Applying chamomile oil twice a day to a rash that is itchy, inflamed, and painful has proven to be more effective than most rash creams.
That’s because chamomile oil has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
In other words, you can apply this oil to burns, inflamed skin areas, and anywhere you want to relieve the pain.
- A STEP TOWARDS TIMELESS BEAUTY. Pure myrrh oil for skin is popular among skincare enthusiasts for gleaming, youthful complexions. Add 2 drops of myrrh essential oil for skin to your skincare...
- DIFFUSE AWAY MENTAL CHATTER. Myrrh oil keeps stressed minds calm and collected as its relaxing scent soothes troubles away. Add 2 drops of myrrh essential oil organic to water and diffuse twice a...
- WARMING COMFORT FOR ACHES. Essential oils myrrh alleviates fatigue after intense workouts or long days at work. Massage 3 drops of myrrh essential oils with carrier oil on sore areas for pain.
The less commonly known myrrh essential oil has a history of treating pain and inflammation.
Since it has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, it’s most effective during the early stages of a rash, when the swelling and the pain are at their highest.
- 100% Pure and Natural! Grandma’s Home Essential Oils are all organic with no additives or chemicals. Our essential oils are vegan and cruelty free, offering a superior experience.
- DIY Friendly. Get creative! Our oils blend beautifully and allow you the freedom to create special beauty, skin and wellness products. Make special soaps, candles or lotions - the sky is the...
- With over 70 VARIETIES. Grandma’s Home soothing essential oils are perfectly suitable for your blending and pairing needs.
Or as it’s more commonly known by: calendula essential oil.
Calendula oil has a centuries-old history in treating rashes and skin inflammations caused by poison plants.
This oil has healing properties that help with symptoms such as redness, dryness, itching, and pain.
Essential Oil for Poison Ivy – Essential Oils Against Both
For a less budget-consuming option, check these oils that you can use for both purposes:
- 100% PURE AND FRESH LAVENDER OIL: Our Lavender Oil is never standardized, meaning we do not adulterate our batches to influence their scent profile. If your bottle of Lavender is more herbaceous...
- ALL-AROUND FANTASTIC ESSENTIAL OIL: Lavender oil is ultra-versatile and loaded with benefits. That's probably why it's one the most popular and widely used essential oils. Diffuse a few drops at...
- 100% PURE LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA: Dilute 2-5% of Lavender in a carrier oil of your choice. It can help with skin issues like fine lines, wrinkles, and chapped lips. Create a natural hair tonic...
In the gardening world, lavender is best used against soft-bodied insects, such as aphids, thrips, small flies, and mites. Also, lavender gets rid of microbes found in the soil except for the beneficial ones.
In the medicinal world, lavender has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- 100% PURE AND NATURAL PEPPERMINT OIL – Brooklyn Botany essential oils are all natural with no additives or dilution. Therefore they can provide their maximum benefits and are extremely potent.
- THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OIL – All of our essential oils are Premium Quality and are tested by an independent lab to test the potency and efficiency of each oil. They are Premium Therapeutic...
- PREMIUM GLASS BOTTLE WITH DROPPER FOR ESSENTIAL OILS – Our Essential Oil is bottled in an amber glass bottle to protect the oil against UV rays. A glass dropper is also included so you can...
Peppermint oil also has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. So, you can use it to soothe that poison ivy rash too.
Peppermint oil in the garden is a natural repellent of ants, lice, and spiders. This essential oil is especially effective against fleas.
How to use it? We suggest soaking multiple cotton balls in non-diluted peppermint oil and distributing them around your garden—and in your home, too, if the need arises!
3. Tea Tree
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure Essential Oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely...
- Physical & Mental Clarity: In order to add some balance into your life and help gain some mental clarity, a few drops of this Tea tree oil will help bring some personal power back into your...
- Go-to Pick for Aromatherapy : Majestic Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil has a very pleasant floral, medicinal and warm smell and Tea Tree is known for its soothing and relaxing properties, a...
Similar to peppermint and garlic oil, tea tree oil isn’t a favorable oil to garden insects because of its smell. Ants and flies tend to avoid places and plants masked with these oils’ scents.
In the medicinal field, tea tree oil is used in the healing of wounds. It’s also highly recommended by dermatologists to help treat multiple skin conditions.
Because tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties, not only will it soothe the itching of a rash, but it’ll also prevent infection as the rash heals.
- RELAX IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS. Pine essential oils for diffuser is used in aromatherapy to uplift moods and relax stress. Diffuse 2 drops of pine diffuser oil in a diffuser for home for festive...
- IDEAL FOR DIY. Pine needle oil infuses a woody scent to handcrafted products. Use 3-4 drops of pine essential oil for candle making, soap making or mix with household cleaner to enhance cleaning.
- AN ENERGIZING OIL FOR ACHE RELIEF. Pine essential oil soothes aching muscles and release physical tension for lasting relief. Mix 2-3 drops with carrier oil in a spray bottle to make a body...
Pine’s earthy scent might be lovely to us, but to most insects, it’s torture. The scent repels fleas, ticks, slugs, and snails. Pine oil is also highly effective against mosquitos.
Pine oil kills algae forms and prevents their return by blocking them out. Quite convenient, we’d say.
In medicine, pine-oil-based soaps are used to treat poison ivy rashes. Pine oil is also proven to have strong wound-healing properties in comparison to other essential oils.
- 100% Pure and Natural Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Our Eucalyptus Oil Aromatherapy Oils are free of any Additives and undiluted with no filters, making it the best eucalyptus essential oils for...
- Breathe freely & Enjoy Every Moment: Pure Eucalyptus Oil is a refreshing remedy for stuffy noses. Eucalyptus pure essential oils are best suited for anyone who enjoys being active.
- Bolster Inner Strength: Some may use eculaptus essential oil diffuser essential oils to purify the air. Perfect Blend With Sweet Orange Oil for refreshing breath.
In the later stages of any injury caused by a poisonous plant, the skin becomes dry and itchy.
Eucalyptus oil helps rehydrate the skin and is a natural pain reliever since it has anti-inflammatory compounds.
Similar to pine oil, eucalyptus is effective on biting insects the most, such as midges and mosquitos.
Essential Oil for Poison Ivy – Frequently Asked Questions
When do essential oils expire?
Their average lifespan ranges between two to three years. However, some oils are effective up until fifteen years, and some actually get better with age. How you store your oils plays a role.
Can essential oils be ingested?
Absolutely not. Oral ingestion, even in small amounts, leads to poisoning. Only a selected few are safe to ingest, and it’s better to test them before ingestion.
Will essential oils kill plants?
We wouldn’t be recommending them if they did. They do no harm to either you or the environment. They’re an important part of organic gardening.
Can essential oils help plants grow?
Besides being organic pesticides, some essential oils can act as herbicides as well. They increase pollination and boost plant growth.
Essential Oil for Poison Ivy – Wrapping up
Purchasing essential oils and storing them in the house is always a good call. And since there’s an overwhelming amount of them out there, we’re glad we minimized that number for you.
We chose to categorize the oils like so in order to simplify the decision-making process. There is an essential oil for poison ivy rashes, for getting rid of blood-sucking mosquitos, and for many more uses.
If you still can’t decide, prioritize. List your needs, go back and skim the article, and choose accordingly. While at it, note down your budget and what fragrance you want your house, garden, or even your own body to smell like.