Off-grid power solutions can come in handy at all times. Especially during times of unrest. With an off-grid system, you can cut ties with your power company and become self-sufficient. This can offer peace of mind during crises.
Did you know you can have power and still be your own source? You don’t have to rely on utility companies to give you electricity. Although people have many definitions of “off-the-grid,” one thing is true: it’s sustainable.
If you’re ready to branch out and become more independent, off-grid power might be the best option. Keep reading to learn how off-grid power solutions can improve your living situation. As well as what you need to consider before going off the grid.
- VERSATILE OUTLETS CHARGE UP TO 9 DEVICES AT THE SAME TIME: Pushing 100 Rated Watts and 150 Peak Watts Through (2) 120V Household Outlets, (2) USB Ports, (1) Quick Charge USB Port, (1) USB-C Port,...
- HOURS & HOURS OF POWER ON A SINGLE CHARGE: 155 Watt-Hours of Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity - Provides Long-Lasting Power That Charges Smartphones Up To 17 Times, Tablets Up to 9 Times, DSLR...
- SMALLEST, LIGHTEST PORTABLE POWER STATION IN ITS CLASS: At 3.75 lb. the iGen160s Is Lighter Than a Full 36 oz. Yeti Rambler and Smaller Than a Lunchbox - Backpack Ready Mini Generator With a...
- 1 Off Grid Power Solutions – What Does Off-Grid Mean Exactly?
- 2 Benefits of Being Off-Grid
- 3 Off Grid Power Solutions – What You Should Consider Before Going Off-Grid
- 4 Off Grid Power Solutions – Is Off-Grid Living Right For You?
Off Grid Power Solutions – What Does Off-Grid Mean Exactly?
- 【RELIABLE QUALITY】ETL certification listed. Offers 1-Year material and workmanship warranty.
- 【POWERFUL DC-AC】1000W continuous, 2000W peak surge during load start-up, 12V to 120VAC pure sine wave with conversion efficiency >90%, reduce conversion loss.
- 【SAFE FOR USE】LED indicators for under-voltage and over-voltage protection, over-temperature protection, over-load protection, and short circuit indication. Cooling fans and ground-fault...
Before we dive in, we need to explain the definition of off-grid solar and what it entails. Yes, it involves sustainable living and renewable energy. But, there’s more to it than that.
The “grid” is the network that provides electricity to residential and commercial buildings. So, to be off-grid means that you serve as your own power company. These types of systems allow you to produce, consume, and store your own electricity. All without being connected to a supplier.
So, how does off-grid solar power work? First, the system uses panels that collect energy from the sun. After it collects a substantial amount of energy, it transfers it to a solar inverter. Then, onto a battery inverter. Which will give you the electricity you need. Any energy that isn’t used is stored for use at another time.
Benefits of Being Off-Grid
People choose to live off the grid for a lot of reasons. Whether they want to “stick it to the man” and separate from society. Or have a backup plan for emergencies. Or simply live a more primitive, basic lifestyle. There are many reasons why people make this decision.
There are several major benefits to off-grid living that may persuade you to break up with your power company. Some of these include:
- Cobb, Jim (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 208 Pages - 03/08/2020 (Publication Date) - Ulysses Press (Publisher)
- Self Sufficiency
If you have enough power available to you, you won’t be affected when the local power company has an outage. There’s a certain satisfaction and sense of pride knowing that you are independent. You won’t be relying on an external system that could fail you.
- Utilizing Renewable Energy
Fossil fuels are not renewable sources of energy. Especially when we consume them at such a high rate. Off-grid power systems, on the other hand, utilize solar power, which is entirely renewable. You also won’t be impacted if oil or gas prices rise. This is because you won’t need them for your energy!
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Brett Mazurek (Director) - Maximilian De Armon (Writer) - Maximillion De Armon (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- Environmentally Responsible Option
- Colson, Ann M (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 46 Pages - 04/04/2015 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
We owe it to our planet and future generations to do our part to protect the environment. Using renewable energy will cut down on your carbon footprint. It does so because you’re consuming and wasting fewer resources.
- Increased Financial Freedom
It might be a large out-of-pocket expense in the beginning. But, the sustainability of an off-the-grid power system pays for itself. With off-grid solar, you’ll enjoy lower monthly payments. They will be much lower than what you’d be paying for with a power company. Maintenance costs are also reduced. The only thing needed is a new battery now and then.
- Better Mental Health
Living off-the-grid has a way of improving your mental health by lowering stress and anxiety levels. When you are self-sufficient, you’ll be more empowered. You’ll also be less worried about a power outage from an ice storm or intense thunderstorm or the cost of your utility expenses.
Off Grid Power Solutions – What You Should Consider Before Going Off-Grid
Off-the-grid living is not for everyone, and that’s okay. That being said, there are a few things you should think about. Also, discuss with your family before pulling the plug on your existing power source.
Keep in mind that the best candidates for off-grid solar energy are people who live in places with lots of sunshine. And also use a consistently high amount of energy. It’s also an excellent option if the residents will be staying in the home long-term. It will allow them to benefit from reduced electric bills each month.
Here are some questions you should consider before going off-grid solar power:
- Can you afford an off-grid power system?
If you’re drowning in debt or barely have anything in your savings account, you might want to pass on an off-grid system. The price depends on where your home is located and the amount of electricity you use. But, you can expect to pay between $30,000 and $70,000 (not including tax credits and rebates).
- Do you understand your energy needs?
One of the most critical things you need to know is if you can sustain yourself using your off-grid system. Find out your specific energy needs first. You’ll need to have a thorough understanding of how much energy you need and can estimate this amount regularly. The average household uses approximately 7kW per day.
Additional Things to Consider
Are you aware of the local rules and regulations?
Although we all wish we could just do whatever we want wherever we want, there are still some particular rules you have to follow when living off-grid. There are several states that require people to have local utilities or require a fee and license. Such as California and Pennsylvania.
Note: Always check in with your local government officials before going off-grid to ensure that you understand all rules and regulations for your area. Check out this handy resource to learn more about your state.
What is your living environment going to be like?
Do you live in an area, or are you moving to an area with an abundance of sunshine? Or cloudy, rainy days? The weather conditions can significantly impact the amount of energy you collect. As you’ll be using solar panels to get your renewable energy. Knowing the climate can affect your decision to opt for off-grid solar power or not.
- MLS-100WP is a 12v 18v 100 watt polycrystaline solar panel
- Dimensions: 40 inches x 27 inches x 1.40 inches. Pre drilled diodes in junction box and a pair of 35 inch cables with MC4 connectors already attached to the panel
- High efficiency solar cells based on innovative photovoltaic technology
Do you require constant internet access?
One downside to off-grid power is that it can be hard to keep a solid internet connection. This can be a serious inconvenience for those who rely on internet access for professional purposes. Thankfully, however, there are a few options to meet your internet needs. Such as using satellite internet or cell phone data.
- ✅ GLOBAL COVERAGE: NO ROAMING CHARGES – make and receive voice calls, SMS, track your position with GPS from anywhere on the globe – never pay roaming charges. Your coverage area is EARTH...
- ✅ EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITH 18 MONTH WARRANTY: Inmarsat IsatPhone 2.1 satellite phone handset, Lithium-ion battery, International AC wall charger with international plugs, Automobile DC charger,...
- ✅ RESISTS WATER AND DUST: SHOCK RESISTANT: TOUGH AND RELIABLE: IK04 shock resistance rating and an ingress rating of IP65: the IsatPhone2 can withstand dirt, dust and jets of water from every...
Off Grid Power Solutions – Is Off-Grid Living Right For You?
First, consider your current living situation and energy needs. Are you living somewhere remote with impossible or limited access to an electrical grid? Or maybe you just want to help the environment. Or adopt a more sustainable lifestyle. Either way, off-grid power is a viable option for you.
This type of system is sustainable and allows for extreme self-sufficiency. But, can also come with a few disadvantages. Such as high initial price and lack of stable internet access. Potential users should weigh the benefits and downsides. And examine their particular living situation to determine if off-grid is a sensible choice.
At Fire Mountain Solar, we believe you deserve convenience, comfort, and security of electricity. Whenever and wherever you want it. We offer tailored power systems. They allow you the chance to take control of your electricity and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer. Are you interested in learning more about off-grid power solutions? Contact us today to schedule a free consultation by calling 360-422-5610.